Welcome to the ASU Retrosynthesis Teaching Website
Instructions For Using This Site...
THE BROWSER BUG CAN NOT BE FIXED AND SO YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE CONCERNED WITH WHETHER YOUR VIEWING OF THE PROBLEMS HAS BEEN RECORDED CORRECTLY OR NOT.
ALL STUDENTS WILL RECEIVE ALL OF THE AVAILABLE CREDIT FOR THIS SEMESTER!
1) There is NO WAY TO SUBMIT COMPLETED ANSWERS to the problems
on this site. You are just supposed to try the problems using a pencil and paper
and see if your answer agrees with that provided. As you work on the problems you
will be invited to submit answers to the individual reactions if you choose, either
via multiple choice or by using textboxes, but you should be working every problem
out on paper.
2) New problems are posted on this page most weeks throughout the semester.
3) The problems have hints to help you learn the problem-solving process. The problems
also help you with many of the individual reactions, sometimes by providing multiple-choice
answers. This is NOT the format of the multistep (retro)synthesis questions that
you will see on an exam! Be sure to look at old exams to learn the exam format for
4) Solving multistep (Retro)synthesis is impossible if you do not know the important
C-C bond-forming reactions and functional group interconversion reactions (FGI's).
This site is NOT designed to help you learn these reactions, you must learn those
on your own! A supporting website that should help you to learn the reactions will
be released later in the semester.
Additional Instructions If You Are Eligible To Receive Credit...
1) Some of the posted problems will be worth credit points. Others do not provide
credit and are to give you more practice. The number of problems that are worth
credit points may not be the same each week.
2) To get the credit points you ONLY have to click on the link to OPEN the problem.
That is ALL. You don't gain OR lose points for clicking ANY other button or
for taking any other action on the site as you work through the problems. Only ONE
credit point can be earned for each question the provides credit.
3) For the problems with credit, you will receive a single credit point the first
time (and ONLY the first time) you click the link to open it.
4) You do not gain or lose credit points for clicking the help/hint buttons or for
submitting a correct or incorrect answers to the individual reactions as you work
through each problem.
5) You must view the assigned problems BEFORE THE DEADLINE INDICATED ON THE MAIN
CHM 234 website each week to receive credit, however you can revisit any problem
at any time. This deadline may not be the same each week. It is your responsibility
to pay attention to the deadlines. Do NOT ask for credit if you missed the deadline!
6) At the end of the semester, your total credit points for using
this site are added to any credit points you earn for using a supporting reaction
website, to be released later in the semester, and then normalized to a maximum
of 40 points, which will count towards your final grade. The total number of credit
points that will be available to earn this semester is not yet known, but there
will be deadlines for earning these credit points. It is your responsibility to
pay attention to these deadlines.
Additional Instructions If You Participate in the Research Study...
1) If you participate in the research study, your usage of the website will be tracked
by the software.
2) You will not receive any extra credit compared to those who do not participate,
nor will you lose any opportunities for credit.
3) Your usage of this website and the supporting reaction website to be released
later in the semester will be correlated with your scores on synthesis questions
on the midterms and final exam, and with your overall course performance.
4) If you choose to participate, your participation will be anonymous and you can
withdraw at any time without any penalty.